Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Grain Jetty





Don’t really know where to begin … I’ll start by just saying that today’s second dive topped them all. The first dive, at the Bell Park Wreck Trail was nothing special… visibility was not great and the wrecks just looked like brown structures. The only cool things about the first dive were the sea horses living on the ropes connecting the wrecks and this one leatherjacket. Due to all the sediment in the water, it was hard to get a good shot. Here are the few that came out:







 The second dive couldn’t have been any different. After a very greasy but deliciously fresh lunch of Fish and Chips we went to the Grain Jetty. The jetty got its name because it is where all the grain is exported from Western Australia. After setting up our gear we entered from the shore. I knew it was going to be a good dive when within the first minute, I noticed this little white ball with red dots on the sand. As I looked closer, I realized it was a little puffer! As I went to get my camera it darted away into the distance, but luckily I would encounter it again later! The water was shallow (about 12 feet) and clear; and with the sun shining it was simply beautiful. The angle of the sun created these gorgeous rays of light that would slant in between the pillars of the jetty and light everything up.








 We all just swam out following the jetty and every 3 meters or so was another pillar brimming with life. There were so many amazing tubeworms (also called feather dusters) of all different colors;












several nudibranchs;






and to my delight, puffers!!!


I chased this one little globefish down for a long time and even held him in my hand! Said hi from Desmond – figured they must be cousins or second cousins since they were both puffers. The chase begins! - anyone who knows me understands why I put so many of these up... know some of them aren't great shots, but I sure do get a kick out of puffers!







This dive spot was just perfect for photography. Just smiling thinking about this dive. Almost too happy from the dive … have this surreal feeling and feel very reflective now. Being in Australia and going diving has been giving me a lot of peace, and I’m happy about that, but hard not to think about things at times. Told Kate I must have been stung by some crazy surreal reflective jelly.





On the way out, I started to think about the little puffer I saw on the way in, and all of a sudden there he was! (It was about the same sandy area where I saw the first, so in my mind they were the same.) Again he proved difficult to capture, but I was able to get a shot off this time.



 Here are the rest of the photos from the day. Definitely proud of some of them (especially the jellies and the rock being struck by the light.) Hope you all enjoy. Cheers


















6 comments:

  1. These photos are fantastic. I'm so happy for you. Shallow water dives are the best. Down under (water that is) is always a great place to gather your thoughts. There is something about equilibrium, how small you are and the power and beauty of the ocean that can't help but give you perspective. Savor it and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Julian, your photography is surreal !! I have never seen seahorses in their natural habitat. Are they really as big as they appear toe? I just love your puffer and your affection for the species.I know some puffers but they have two legs and are full of hot air.When your dad and I used to go diving about a hundred years ago,much less for him,it also inspired some philosophica thought,mostly how majestic the marine universe was and how remarkable we humans were to enter that universe where we aliens dependent on a tank of air,a regulator and a mask.I understand your elation.Love.Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are simply breathtaking, Jules. The seahorses, the feather dusters, the jellies--what a fantastic-looking variety of sea life. I find myself going back to these photos again and again. I still can't believe that seahorses really exist--and yet here they are.

    And that little guy--your puffer--is just too sweet for words. I love the image of his swimming back and forth in your hand. What a thrilling day of diving.

    But I can understand at the same time that such beauty might overwhelm you in some ways; it's a lot to take in. I just feel very lucky that we can share this with you along the way. Many thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy MOLY Booboo, these photos are OUT OF THIS WORLD! What an amazing eye you have -- and how well you translate that vision (in itself a feat!) for all of us to see. Thank you for this - it really made my day.

    Love you so much!

    ~Marina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julian,
    Absolutely breath taking images that give my body and mind a jolt of surreal beauty. Intense out of this world colors and sensations. Very, very cool. You bring something special that I only experienced the first time I viewed the Hubble photos. You have a talent.
    Be well
    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete