Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Scuba Diving Round 2


After another very restless night of sleep, I woke up unsure if I should scuba diving again today, as my ears were still not feeling 100%. They weren’t hurting but remained unequalized - the way they sometimes feel when one is on an airplane. After seeing the great forecast for the day and receiving advice from my Psych teacher from last year, who is also a dive instructor, I decided I would give it a shot. I figured worst comes to worst (is it worst or worse?) I could snorkel and just enjoy a day out on the boat. After getting picked up by Becky, the really nice woman who has been giving me rides to and from the dive boat, the day began. I got buddied up with a man named Danny who was from Perth. I was a little worried that my slow pace and decision to not go as deep today would bother him, but he ended up being a great buddy – very patient and willing to go wherever. The first dive site was the Mini Swirl, which was part of a place called Stragglers’ Rocks. This was by far my favorite dive site so far. Not only was it really beautiful I felt very in control of the dive. There were these neat rock structures that spiraled down with several large caves underneath in the middle. This was a perfect type of place for me as I was able to slowly descend as I spiraled around the outside. Thankfully my ears were totally fine and we ended up going down to 14 M, which was more than I had anticipated I’d be able to do. At the bottom of the cave was this smallish Port Jackson shark, which is a bottom dwelling shark that is harmless.



Here are some of the other shots from the first dive.



Click for larger image

















On the way up, I must have ascended a little too quickly as my ear started squeaking a lot. Content that I had made it through the dive with eardrums still intact, I surfaced and began to swim back to the boat. Before reaching the boat I blew my nose and saw that my nose had started to bleed. At that point it was pretty hard not to feel like my body was falling apart. Why am I melting!? Ahhh! After my initial shock, I remembered that when looking up advice last night for clearing my ears, I had seen that another common issue on dives was nosebleeds so I wasn’t too worried. Later when I got back to my room, I went online to see whether I could find any possible explanations. Turns out taking Sudafed before a dive (had some last night) isn’t the best plan as it can dry out the sinuses, which leads to nose bleeds when there is a vacuum. Oops!  
The second dive site wasn’t as good as the first – this one was a little more weedy and had these narrow cave type structures that didn’t look like they would fit me and my camera in – but was still enjoyable. I was able to go into one big one where I saw another Port Jackson shark. This one didn’t seem to like all the attention it was getting and ended up swimming out of the cave.







Overall, I was really happy that I went back out for another dive. The people I dove with invited me out for a beer afterwards, but seeing as I’ve done no work this weekend, I had to pass. Figured I would write this post and then get to work. 


9 comments:

  1. and I was there! Wow! I love the air bubble shots. The patterns they form are so beautiful. . What a great weekend. I'm so glad you're well launched into the scuba world. The blood is part of an ancient rite of passage. Poseidon will allow you to return to the deep. Now, back to work you Dawg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jules! I wish you could have heard me gasping at those photos. Exquisite! The colors of the fish (and snail) are so beautiful, and those cave shots are unbelievable. I'm packing my bags...

    (Do be careful with those ears of yours. How are they feeling now??)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh booboo, those pictures are STUNNING! Particular ones that I love: the little fishy peeking out of his hole, the caves/rock structures, the one that looks like an aerial view of a sea slug, and the third one from the bottom of the diver resurfacing (kind of sepia-toned)...AMAZING!

    You are so talented it's just NUTS!

    Love,

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julian! These pictures are wonderful! The Port Jackson shark looks like it's made up of suede! When I saw the first picture I was wondering what it was, it looked like a piece of fabric on the ocean floor!

    I sounds like you are having a wonderful experience (in spite of the nose bleeds and ear aches!). Your blog makes me want to go to Australia!

    Keep having fun! I'm looking forward to reading more posts!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. mon dieu! ces photos sont absolument incroyables. Is it eerie being down there? The photos of the divers are magical -- they really transport you, as though swimming underwater alongside you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julian,
    w
    What fantastic a ventures you are having and what's more what outstanding photography.I'm glad you are paying some attention to your ears,hearing comes in handy as you journey on.Your dad managed to affect his by only doing homework with earphones on and loud music blaring( other than that he's just fine !!!!! Much love, Poppy .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julian,

    I thought the shark photo was the most amazing thing, until I saw the underwater cave ones. You truly have a gift from the gods, maybe Poseidon. (I'm sure his jurisdiction runs to Perth.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I live in Perth and have been looking for this spot numerous times. Do you know which charter you went on?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Unfortunately I don't remember what the charter was. It might have been Perth Diving Academy or Dolphin Dive. Hope that helps narrow it down!

    ReplyDelete