Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Friday, September 17, 2010

Random Thoughts and Weekend Plans


So today as I was walking by the quad and the reflection pool on campus, I was once again attacked by a very protective mother duck (I think it was the mom.) As I backed away from its charge, I couldn’t help but think how amazing it is that that is hardwired into creatures. Might sound corny, but it is a pretty incredible thing. It is not like anyone ever taught this duck how to be a parent but somehow it just knows that it is supposed to take care of its babies. Yesterday I saw it fly at a girl who just tried feeding the babies. People are much bigger than ducks … this is a brave little guy / girl. Reminds me of my other deep nature question/thought, which is how is it that fish that swim in large schools know that they are with other fish that look like them. It is not like there are any mirrors in the ocean. In fact, there are pretty few reflective things at all, yet somehow the fish know to swim with others of its kind. Just some food for thought.

Ended up spending most of the day Cottesloe Beach. Got a much needed swim in the ocean. Salt water can really help the body and mind. Took in another nice sunset over dinner.








Plans for the weekend: On Saturday I am going out to Rottnest with Vicki (program advisor), Lauren, and Devon. Hopefully the weather is nice and I get a good day of relaxing and bike rides out on Rotto. Then Sunday the plan is to go for another shore dive with some people from the dive club. Might go back out to the Grain Jetty or go to one that is a bit closer. We shall see.

Couple other random photos I've taken:




6 comments:

  1. Saltwater is the best. What beautiful shots. Can't wait to see it with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny and true about the fish swimming with their own kind!! I LOVE that thought. And I LOVE the color photo of the house at the end of the dock. Such a cool shot. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful Boo! I love your thoughts. How appropriate to ponder all this by the reflection pool. Also, the house pictured at the end of the post looks like paradise...

    Love you!

    ~Marina

    ReplyDelete
  4. More kudos!! The photos are wonderful, and I'm so glad the water felt good. It can do wonders.

    Well, I happen to love the black-and-white photo of the house, and I love the way you put the borders on those three photos of the bird. I can't wait to see the beach and those sunsets--and you, Mr. Man...!

    (That's fascinating, by the way, about the fish. The question never occurred to me before, but you're right: how in the world do they know??)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidddding me with that last picture? It is insanely beautiful. I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Cathy about the black-and-white photo of the house; maybe it just looks so beautiful because it stands out after all the bright colors, but maybe it just has this austere, New England look to it. You feel the lobster shack is right down the road.

    ReplyDelete