Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Monday, November 29, 2010

Last Trip to the Great Barrier Reef: Part I


Sunday November 21st:
What a day (and night) this has been! A last minute change of plans meant that Kristen would be joining me on my boat trip to the Great Barrier Reef. We got a massive buffet breakfast at 6 A.M and boarded the catamaran powerboat that would take us to the larger boat we were staying on. It was a pretty bouncy crossing … I managed to sleep through most of it but apparently people were throwing up left and right (naturally said in an Australian accent.) It was a little creepy at one point, for as we pulled up to the larger boat we were told to clear one section of the bench as the crew carried this woman up the stairs and laid her down. She was gasping for air and was not looking too good – pretty sure she was just having a panic attack after being sick for the majority of the ride over, but it was still creepy seeing her shake and gasp for air as they gave her oxygen to calm her down. Imagine a scene from any exorcism movie and you wouldn’t be far off. Another indicator of the bounciness was this man who was just crying as he walked up the stairs. For the whole morning it was rainy and windy so as we left the smaller boat to go to the larger one it was a bit of an adventure. That was probably the most rugged part of the trip, and most likely the most rugged part we will face as we are living like a king and queen. To say we are well looked after is a major understatement. It would be impossible to describe our treatment without sounding unbearably pretentious so just take my word that this is a most excellent vacation. We arrived at the boat around 11 and dropped our bags off in the room before having a lunch of risotto and a steak burger (see what I mean about not sounding pretentious?) Shortly after we went out for our first dive! I was really happy to find out that despite not being certified Kristen would be allowed to come diving with me. Aydan, the dive guide assigned to us, gave her a brief but thorough introduction (probably 15 minutes) in our room and then we were off. I was really proud of Kristen and just so excited to see her enjoying diving so much! There is a reason the Great Barrier Reef is considered one of the best, if not the best, dive sites in the world and it is obvious from the second you get in the water. Almost immediately after entering the water we saw two or three white tip reef sharks, which was pretty cool. 



















































On our second dive we encountered a really friendly turtle that let us pet its back. Such an adorable little guy – and quite the hungry little fellow. He would just chomp away as we stroked its back and swam right up to it. Every now and then it would wipe its face on one of its fins, which was just really cute. 














Look at that little tail!


Another highlight from the second dive was seeing a cuttlefish. Had some fun chasing him down. 
Aydan told me that the man who invented the jet engine actually got the idea from watching a cuttlefish swim.
Make sure to watch the first few seconds as it changes color!
Here are some of the other shots from the second dive:
 After our two dives Kristen and I went to the top of the boat where we listened to the many songs we picked up over the semester and indulged ourselves in a much needed nap. Soon it was time for dinner and then … my very first night dive!!! As Aydan talked to us, I couldn’t help but pick up on how Australian his briefing was. Here is an example: “What do you think green eyes belong to? … Those would be for sharks. Try not to shine your light directly in their eyes, as they will swim straight at you. If this happens just turn off your light and wait. You can turn it on and off every now and then to see if it is still swimming at you. If it still is … just shine your light on your buddy so it goes after them.” Great! Who’s excited for this night dive! Luckily there were no situations like that. Pretty amazing diving. Very strange, for as when you look out at the ocean at night your first instinct isn’t to dive in, but we did it! 
As the dive went on, I kept thinking hmm… my light seems to be less strong then the others, but nahhh I’m probably just imaginging that. I kept trying to compare my beam to Kristen and Aydan’s and then all of a sudden my light just cut out and I realized that my batteries had in fact been dying. Yikes! Good thing we were all swimming close together. Pretty spooky diving at night but at the same time strangely calming. Not that the ocean is loud or anything when you dive during the day but there is a distinct level of quietness at night. 
At one point I looked up and noticed how beautiful the light shining down from the moon was. I went over and tapped Kristen on the shoulder to point it out. Not expecting anything to bump against her, she started screaming underwater. Frantically trying to come her down I pointed up at the moon, which she interpreted as a sign to bolt for the surface. I was able to grab her and pull her down and signal that I mean look at the moon and that everything was a-okay.
 Whoops! Poor communication on my part! 
 After our dive Kristen and I enjoyed this amazing chocolate dessert and our complimentary cocktail and bottle of champagne in the hot tub at the front of the boat (again … sorry for sounding obnoxious.) Quite the trip so far! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jules! So worth waiting for...

    I can't get over the variety here: the corals, the clams, the fish and the turtle, those sharks (yikes!). What can I say? I'm ready to go back and take a comprehensive scuba course, just like Kristen did (ahem--15 minutes??!). I love all the contrasts, too, between the colors and textures (to be said with a New Zealand accent).

    What's the name of the bright white coral that looks like snowflakes?? And did you name the turtle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not surprising they treated you like a king as I know you are a prince among men. What an eye you have for composition. Wow!

    ReplyDelete