Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Friday, August 20, 2010

First Night In Augusta


After finishing my morning class and a quick lunch, Craig, Colin and I set off to Augusta. It was a pleasant 3 hour drive – sunny for just about the whole way and lots of open fields with cows grazing. 





Told Craig and Colin my theory about how when cows lie down it always rains. Although it held true, they said maybe I got the idea from the ominous rain clouds in front of us. After arriving at Craig’s house we walked down the street to Colourpatch – a little fish and chips place on the Blackwood River. 





We got the two local fish that they were offering – whiting and shark! The shark was pretty good, a little meatier than most fish. There were picnic tables outside so we ate right next to the river.




As I had mentioned in the last post, we knew the International Space Station was supposed to be going by that night. The website said there would be a 4 minute window, with the station coming from 15 West, Southwest and going 16 East, Southeast. Luckily Craig’s phone had a compass app so we sort of had an idea of where to look. (Basically, wherever there were holes in the clouds). After one false alarm, we looked up and lo and behold saw the ISS shooting across the sky. As uninteresting as the picture might look (the bright light is the station) it was really exciting to see it.


That thing can fly! Just looked it up and it goes 17,500 mph! That means it orbits Earth every 90 minutes. (As if I deduced that on my own … thanks Wikipedia) Here are two more fun facts that I just looked up: the 4 countries that collaborated on the station were the United States (wooo!), Russia, Japan,  and … drum roll … Canada (random)! And lastly, the crew on the station consists of only 6 people! Thought those were pretty neat. Took this picture of the moon - pretty incredible that you can see the craters. Also, I really can see a face in the moon in this shot. (Look towards the top left.) 


After a solid dinner and space adventures we returned to Craig’s where we watched many many episodes of How I Met Your Mother – a show that everyone should check out. Seeing as I brought my tripod with me, I went out to take some shots of the stars and the moon. 





Some of them came out pretty nice. It’s pretty incredible how my camera can handle low light situations. This shot was taken in complete darkness, yet it looks like daytime!

 After several shots of the stars, I told Craig and Colin about this cool technique I had seen and we tried doing light tracings using our cellphones. This kept us entertained until we decided to call it a night as our feet were numb.




Craig you sly dog, you.


Sword fighting



 Been a great day so far

First full day at Augusta winding down … figured I would put up the post and pictures about the first night now before we fire up the barbie! A very fun and relaxing day today … will try to post about what I did today, tomorrow. Ahhh I am making this more confusing! I'll phrase it this way: this post is what I did yesterday, more to come on what I did today. Good night and good day

6 comments:

  1. ooo those cell phone light photos are super cool!

    wish i was sitting at the end of that beautiful dock...would be much more scenic than my cubicle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with these stunning photos. And what fun the sword fighting cell phone lights are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such exquisite photos, Jules! You've outdone yourself! I have to go back and look at them all over again now. Definitely would love to frame a few for the house...

    And how do you do the light tracings??

    ReplyDelete
  4. And by the way, that black border is really beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out the light drawings by picasso. Your photos are amazing!!! This is a fabulous post. Can't wait to see what you'll be able to do with the MV or Highborne sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julian,
    Normally I get these posts on my phone, so am unable to comment...but today I am actually at my computer and able to see your photos in their full glory. They/you are truly amazing!! I LOVE living vicariously through you and reading about your adventures each day! Keep 'em coming!! All my love to you!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete