Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Thoughts From Class


So far my favorite class is Language of the Cognitive System. Right now we are learning the IPA (international phonetic alphabet), which consists of letters and symbols that represent the different sounds. The fun part is that – seeing as we are in Australia – we spell the words out the way Australians say the words. Breaking down the words into the individual sounds is actually pretty helpful to my goal of developing an Aussie accent, as it highlights the differences in pronunciation. The major difference between the way we say words and Australians do, or between any language, is the way vowels are pronounced. They seem to make the vowels longer, to the extent that it often replaces consonants in the word. For instance, instead of saying R’s in the middle or end of words it’s pronounced more like ‘eh’ as in yeah. So perform is pehfum or certain would be cehten. In class everyone must have thought I sounded like a pirate because I kept pronouncing R’s when no one else heard it. Later, in my classics class today, a girl said the "Earth gave birth..." which sounded pretty funny in an Australian accent. (Eh-th gave- beh-th). (What would you say if she said it in Australia ... beat you to it Marina and Mom. Too easy.)  Not too much else to report back on. This weekend we are going paintballing on Saturday for Craig’s birthday; and on Sunday I am going on a wine and chocolate tour with Lauren, Devon, and Vicki (our advisor) in Swan Valley.

Oh, and here’s the Koala claw picture with the border like you asked for Mom. 


11 comments:

  1. Too quick for me. I didn't even stand a chance on that one.

    Also, that class sounds awesome, you crazy r-spewing pirate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen it both ways, I think I like it better without the border. Very cute photo.

    Wine and chocolate tasting sounds like fun. Do they make wine and chocolate in western Australia? I know they make a lot of wine in other parts but I don't think I've seen wine from Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. You are a good and righteous pal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahaha, little koala! reminds me of a sneaky sydney. i think what you wrote is really interesting, doggy...OR, as the Australians might say: i think what you whote is weally intewesting. Damn...i think i need to practice my r-free accent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still undecided if I like it better with the border or not ... I'm leaning towards with the border though! I think the southern parts of Western Australia are known (over here at least) for making really good wine and chocolate. I know Margaret River is supposed to be the big one over here. Not sure if there are any from Perth though.

    And I'm glad you liked it Audrey! Haha I like your attempt though it sounds like you have a lisp :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jules, I love the idea of your class wondering where the heck those rrrrrrrs are coming from! Very amusing (as is the eh-th gave beh-th comment). All I know is that I started pronouncing words that way, and I could have sworn Hugh Jackman was in the room. And personally, I think the photo is quite wonderful with the border. (Sorry, Elizabeth...!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. But what about the KEEEEEEEEDS??? How's that for an accent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YESSSS!!!! Perfect Charlotte! A+ or high distinction as they would call it here. Guessing you've seen funny people? Someone said kids like "keeds" the other day and it made me really happy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the border. Great shot! Then I scrolled down through all the other photos you have been taking and oh my gosh...so many great ones! (I was a little behind in my blog reading.) I am very jealous and want to head off to Australia right away. You are very lucky to be having such a wonderful experience there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So how would you pronounce "border?" Bawdah? Sounds southern.

    ReplyDelete