Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Perth Zoo


This weekend was pretty low-key as I came down with a bit of a cold. By far the most exciting (and active) thing I did all weekend was go to the zoo today. The zoo was divided into three sections – Australian Walkabout, Asian Rainforest, and African Savannah. One of the first things we saw was a reticulated python (don’t worry mom I decided not to put up the photo of it cause I knew you would cry :) ). These snakes can grow up to 10m (33 feet!). Later on in the Australian part was Simon – the saltwater croc. 


Apparently, saltwater crocs can grow up to 7 meters (over 21 feet) and can weigh up to 1,000 Kg (about 2200 pounds).



 Pretty scary stuff. On a cuter note, were the Little Penguins. As the name suggests, these are the smallest type of penguin and are native to Australia. This little guy appeared to be sleeping but had his foot raised – almost as if he was dancing.



 Another highlight was the orangutans. They were pretty fascinating as their faces were so human-like. Although they appeared to be a little sad, it was pretty incredible when they would look at you.




           Does anyone else see a slight resemblance to Vigo Mortenson above?










 Very piercing – I find it hard to look away from the eyes in some of these pictures.



 Unlike the Sydney Zoo, and to my disappointment, there were no sections were you could play with the animals. I did get some nice shots of a most active little Koala. Seeing him climb up a tree set the record for the most movement by one of these little guys so far. Him being awake was impressive enough! 











Among the other interesting animals I saw were:

Meerkats







Cheetahs





Sun Bear Catching a Fish



 Otters


and naturally ... some Kangaroos





Pretty wild to think that I will be starting my third week of classes and have been in Australia for a month already. Also if anyone thinks that one photo might look better with a border, or as a black and white, or in a collage - feel free to let me know and I will try it out! Thanks all for following along. 


12 comments:

  1. WOW. So many creatures to befriend! Crocodile might eat you though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koalas don't look that cute up close; very disappointing. In fact they look downright nasty. The orangutans are something else -- beautiful and soulful (as is the photographer).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh thanks Elizabeth!!! But don't give up on the Koalas! They are quite cute and cuddly. Sometimes they look a little bit like Yoda but they are still very lovable. Look at the ones from the Sydney Orientation post and hopefully they will win you back over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I officially HATE Meerkats.. that think is scary creepy looking to me.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was Lyra's daemon a meerkat in The Golden Compass, or did I make that up, Jules? Those eyes are quite haunting. I love the photo of the tree with just a bit of the hand--paw.??--showing. Try it with a border perhaps? Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And Happy Birthday, Britt! In Australia, you would have been celebrating already...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing pictures! Did the otters hold hands at all? ; )

    Love you!

    ~Marina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Marina. They're otterly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julian,

    Here’s a LONG comment, but it’s my first so if you divide it by the number of posts, it’s pretty normal.

    Your mom sent me your link and I’ve been enjoying it so very much. The beautiful photography and variously comical and fascinating observations have kept me highly entertained. Today I noticed the ominous crocodile and I would share with you something that my son, Simon (almost 15), has consistently observed for many years now. He has noted that when he runs across characters named Simon, more often than not they are evil or perish. Or they are evil and perish.

    To name just a few: Simon LeGree (Uncle Tom’s Cabin) EVIL// Simon (Lord of the Flies) PERISHES// Simon Gruber (Die Hard: With a Vengeance) EVIL AND PERISHES// Simon Bar Sinister (Underdog) EVIL. The list goes on and on!

    One notable exception would be Simon Seville, the chipmunk with the genius IQ in Alvin’s music group. I don’t think that’s been much of a consolation, however. Not every Simon character is awful or ill-fated, but it’s enough to raise my Simon’s eyebrows. He used to get into a bit of a lather about it every time a new one would crop up, but now I’d say he approaches the whole thing with bemused resignation.

    I’m deciding whether or not to show him your menacing crocodile that shares his name. If you run across a sweet Koala named Simon, pass it on, please!

    Love, Amy


    PS Don’t sell yourself short. You look much smarter than the lobster-wielding Rottnest magazine cover guy in the August 3 post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, i agree with kate: don't cuddle with the crocs!

    beautiful orangutans..you're right, those eyes are truly haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy! So glad that you are following and enjoying the blog! Your "Simon as an evil name thoery" made me laugh and I tried thinking of some "good guy" Simon's but can't think of one. I'll keep an eye out for one though :)

    And thanks to everyone who commented! Always great hearing from you guys and knowing that I am not just writing to myself.

    Oh and sadly I did not see the otters hold hands, but maybe they're just not into PDA.

    ReplyDelete