Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Monday, October 4, 2010

Fifth Entry - Cervantes and Lancelin

Writing on the way down south to Albany now! Here is the recap from our time in Cervantes and Lancelin. We pulled into Nambung National Park where the Pinnacles Desert is located around 5 P.M. It was perfect timing because not too long after arriving the sun started to set and  created a nice light on the rocks.








 We didn’t spend too much time in the park because we wanted to arrive in Cervantes before dark and those damn flies were back! The sheer number of rock pillars in the desert was quite the sight to see.









Our noble steed, Winston.




 Before long we arrived at the caravan park in Cervantes, where the owner insisted that we have a beer on the beach and take in the sunset. Sheesh … tough life. Celebrating a successful day we grudgingly obliged and witnessed a pretty astounding sunset. The clouds were in a perfect position in the sky and caught the light in really neat ways. 









While Devon, Kristen, and Colin set up the tents, Matt and I went to BBQ the rest of the sausages we had. So far I have cooked every night (besides the night we went out for burgers) so gotta go the distance now and keep the streak alive! Next to us was an Australian family who had a real deal BBQ. They made our grill of sausages look pretty pitiful. Took a picture of all the different meats they were grilling. To be fair the picture of ours was actually our leftover sausages. We had just grilled like 15 on top of diced onions so it looked a little less pathetic than that.






 After dinner and the one “nice” bottle of wine we had (a whopping $20 bottle I bought on our wine tour) Kristen, Devon, and I taught Matt and Colin how to play the card game Presidents and Assholes. Always a fun one to play. While playing, the beetles that were living in the BBQ area targeted me and for the next hour or so would fly right at me and try to climb onto my head. Seriously think they had a vendetta against me. Ended up finding one in my bag later in the car! They just wouldn’t give up! 






Soon we went to bed and woke up late (7 A.M!) to pack up and get ready to drive to Lancelin. We were going to do a dune tour in a buggy and possibly go sandboarding but the place was closed. Ended up being much better that way, because for 15$ we could each rent our own board and go ourselves! Spent the next two hours climbing up dunes and whizzing down them on the boards. 








Pretty tiring running up the giant dunes, but man was it worth it for once you got to the top, going down on the board was just so much fun.










If you look closely on the picture on the right you can see how much sand is on my beard. Colin said I looked like a Yeti.






 Here is a video of me going down one of the bigger dunes. Almost made it to the bottom but had to jump off running. Only problem is that when you are going that fast it’s hard to keep your legs underneath you so at the end I just shoot off the screen – almost looks like I’m doing a baseball slide.





Colin also found this little guy!



Hi!




 We returned the boards, made sandwiches in the parking lot, and are back on the road now heading to Albany. Pretty wild thinking that we are almost done with our trip already. What an adventure this has been so far. (Funny seeing how at the end of each entry I just can’t help but express what a trip it was! Hope I don’t sound like a broken record.)



5 comments:

  1. Greatest road trip eveerrrr! I am so jealous. This looks like such an amazing time. I am so happy you had this opportunity and that you are taking advantage! It looks so beautiful there. I am really jealous about the dolphins (my fav animal). Well frankly I am jealous about the whole trip. You will have to give me all the details one day when I make my way out there.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable! I agree with Brit. This is the greatest road trip ever. You have such a great eye and tell a great tale (yarrrrr).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto!! What a wonderful storyteller you are. And the sky in these photographs is just exceptionally beautiful. It's so great of you to share your trip this way.

    What was it like to slide on the sand, by the way? It looks as if you were going really, really fast.

    And that has to be the sweetest little lizard ever. Did Colin keep him??

    I wish you could hear all the oohs and ahhs when we see your posts for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. doggy! noah and i just read your two new blog entries and...WOW! he's about to google where you can go sandboarding in the u.s. and i'm wondering which photo i want to get blown up, printed on a laminated backdrop and hung above my couch. these are so beautiful! thank you for sharing your trip with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went sand buggy-ing in a dune National Park in Oregon. I always wanted to try to sandboarding though. Aud- if you and Noah find somewhere closer than Oregon, Kev and I are in...

    Maybe NC or SC?

    ReplyDelete