Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Post II: Finding Desmond – First Dive!

Thursday, Oct 14th: Back in the room after quite a day. Fit in three dives, so needless to say I am quite the happy camper! Got a grin on ear to ear as I type this up. Pretty incredible diving on the Great Barrier Reef. Hmm… that’s a bit of an understatement! Not only are there just so many varieties of fish and corals, but the sheer number of life at any given site is pretty breathtaking. The first dive site we went to was called Turtle Gulley. Heron Island, is actually situated in the Great Barrier Reef and as such is about a 5 or 10 minute sail max, from the reef. As if I needed an excuse to fall more in love with Heron Island. Some of the highlights at Turtle Gulley were seeing a turtle






 an octopus,



Zoomed in on the eye.


Can you see the camouflaged octopus?


and the family of this little guy I know called Desmond!!! 







I started laughing underwater when I saw a big daddy version of Desmond just swimming in front of me. Quite a special moment. I sure do miss my little friend. 










Here are some of the other things I saw…





Moorish Idol


Blackbacked Butterfly










Barramundi Cod

Parrotfish





Squirrelfish

Trumpetfish
 An encounter with another Desmond (Valentini Puffer or Blacksaddled Toby as they are called here)





3 comments:

  1. Keep tuning in, Elizabeth, and you'll soon see a photo of me underwater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The octopus eye is haunting. Desmonds galore. The Dawg to Big Dawg ratio in the Desmond family is about right. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow! i'm going through your posts in reverse order and i just wish i could teleport to australia so i could ask you a bajillion questions about what i'm seeing (and, er, while i was there, maybe we could go for a snorkel, too!). so many beautiful and strange creatures! i can't wait to hear more about it all.

    ReplyDelete