Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Post III: Heron's Bommie – Second Dive

Thursday, Oct 14th: 20 minutes after getting back from Turtle Gulley, I went back out for another dive. How could I say no!? This dive was at Heron Bommie (basically an underwater boulder that hosts all kinds of creatures). Within a few minutes of the dive, my buddy pointed out a large white tip reef shark sleeping in a cave. Got as close as I wanted to and snapped some shots. He had some girth, didn’t want to wake him up! 

We also two manta rays swimming in the distance! Really majestic creatures that just glide through the water. 

Didn’t get a photo of it but there was also a skittish little white tip shark that shot past one of the other divers. At one point during this dive, Jen, one of the other divers, motioned me to come over. As I approached the rocks she was looking at, Jen put her hands together and wriggled them in a snake motion. Hmm… perhaps a venomous sea snake? Okay. As I got closer she started opening and closing her hand in a biting motion. Okay …. A biting venomous sea snake? With my mom safely on shore, how could I resist!? When I finally saw what she was pointing at, I was face to face with a giant Moray Eel. The sand was stirred up so I couldn’t get any pictures, but still neat being that close. I could see the rest of the group swimming off, so I left before the water could settle down. Here are the rest of the shots!


Emperor Angel
































2 comments:

  1. No doubt about it, Jules--Heron Island was the place to go. Three dives a day, and the reef just minutes away. I sure hope you can go back with Dad sometime soon.

    The photos are just sensational--still can't get over the color and variety of what's down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors just take my breath away. I'm definitely looking into recertification next week. If not Australia then at least the Bahamas!!!

    ReplyDelete