Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Aussie Rules Football Game, Beach, and My Beard


Last night we had a semi-formal dinner at Trinity, the college that I am staying at. The food was actually really really good and they did a nice job of making the place feel very classy. 



I was getting a little furry and decided that my beard being longer than my hair was a sign for me to shave. So alas, my goal to grow the best beard must start all over again. That concludes the portion of my blog on my beard... for now. Moving on.

Today I woke up and once again the weather was beautiful – sunny and around 68 degrees. Packed up some snacks, some books, and went back to the waves beach, Scarborough, with some friends. 



The waves were not as big today, online it said 2.7 meters, but there was still the occasional huge one. By the time we got to the beach it was a little cloudy, but when the sun poked through it was a great temperature to go into the water. Again, it was neat seeing the sky and water change as the clouds passed.








Some color shots of the previous ones.




Eager for a swim ... 


I think it's a good thing I can amuse myself so easily.


 We stayed there till about 3:30 and then went back to Trinity to get ready for the game tonight! As part of the Butler Study Abroad program, Vicki took Lauren, Devon, and me to an Aussie Rules Football match. 



We had watched a game last week to try and decipher the rules and it was definitely a good decision because otherwise we would have been lost. (For instance, if the ball goes out of bounds the ref throws it back into play backwards. See below.)


 It’s a pretty cool sport and very entertaining to watch. The field is circular in shape and varies in size from stadium to stadium. 









            Football friends!

Also, Australian fans are pretty funny to listen to.



 Had a meat pie, a sausage roll, and a beer while watching an Aussie Rules Football game. Ladies and gentleman, welcome to Australia. Doesn’t get more Australian than that. (Just thought I would set you up dad so you can make your go to comment.) The moon was shining really brightly during the game, which added a nice effect.


As the night went on...



When it was fully dark ...



Just got back from the game and am pretty wiped out so I think the plan for the night is just to relax and watch a movie with some friends. Update: We ended up watching Modern Family which is an actually pretty funny TV show. For the record, I highly recommend seeing Inception! Saw it on Thursday, when it came out here and am still thinking about it! So so good! That's all for now, going to go to bed now and then head to Fremantle (or Freo) tomorrow for Devon's birthday lunch.




6 comments:

  1. Hi, Julian! I've been following every blog and vicariously sharing your adventures. You're terrific, and I'm glad you're enjoying every bit of it. And I can't wait to read the captions underneath your beautiful photographs. I can't answer you from my iPad, so I'm writing from Mom's laptop, and she has just cooked a delicious dinner. The blueberry crisp was so good that it's worth flying home for a weekend just to eat it! Much love, Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just like to add that this is a most wonderful blog post--and those captions on the warning signs are a riot! (I'm so glad you've inherited from me this ability to amuse yourself.) Perhaps we can see an Aussie Rules game for ourselves. As for the beard, well, thanks for the warning--I'll know to comment when I see that it's gone. Sounds like a perfect day among the Strines! The last two photos of the moon and the beach are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing all this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of the ocean!!! Somehow it seems the perfect spot for you. Have a great time Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOW you tell me what to do when my hand crumbles off....i always thought I had to dive head first onto a slanted piece of pavement. i was WAY off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Aud you need to place your motorcycle on top of your car and go for a drive... duh.

    ReplyDelete