Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fremantle and UWA



Yesterday we celebrated Devon’s birthday by going into Fremantle for lunch. Fremantle is this little harbor town just about 20 minutes outside of Perth. 











After plenty of good food, we went back to campus and took it easy. (We did eat a lot after all. Wouldn’t want to overdo it). We spent most of the night just hanging out in my room and had fun imitating each other’s accents. Think Laura’s American accent was the best, though I do think my Australian one came in a close second.

Today was the first day of classes and I’d say I was 1 for 2. The first class I had was really interesting and seems like it will be a good one. The second one … not so much. In fact, halfway through, when we were given a 15-minute break, Devon and I decided it would be a good time to leave and not go back. (I decided after 10 minutes that I was going to drop it). After leaving the class we wandered into a courtyard where we found … peacocks! Pretty amazing looking birds and also much more entertaining than the class I had just left.  






Walking around the campus, one can’t help but feel like the school didn’t really know who their target audience was when they built it. Don’t get me wrong, the campus is beautiful. It’s just that one part you feel like you’re in a Mayan temple, the next you’re in some kind of cathedral, and then all of a sudden you’re in a Japanese Koi Pond. Definitely makes for an interesting walk to class though. 













        Building got a little curved in the panorama ... not actually like that.

While I was taking some of these pictures I kept hearing cracking noises and would see these nuts falling out of the trees next to me. After the third or fourth time this happened, I walked around and found ... 







some kind of Parrot! Never a dull moment.

8 comments:

  1. Those peacocks--extraordinary! And it looks as if you were pretty close to them (or was that a nifty zoom lens at work?). I love the nutty peacock (sorry...couldn't resist) and the black-and-white photos of the campus buildings. Very striking. So which class got dropped?? You're keeping us in suspense...
    And Happy Birthday to Devon--not even belated as it's still her birthday here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love that sneaky little parrot. Looks like such a goofball. And I sure hope you showed your Aussie accent to the max -- "Liyft, and ROYT" -- not to mention the OTHER one...gla ha.

    Such beautiful pictures. Keep them coming!

    And happy birthday Devon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A clean tank is a good tank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julian, your pictures are so great! I love reading your blog and get excited every time there's a new post! I also really like the new captions for the signs. Not quite sure why but they make me incredibly happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for sharing your adventures. I'm vicariously enjoying them.
    I admire your insight and narrative. So keep it coming. Love, Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Poppy! So glad you are enjoying the blog and following it ! Means a lot to me! Let me know if you end up around Perth and I'll show you around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And yayyy ! Happy you found them funny too Molly. Been amusing myself coming up with them. On the look out now for weird looking signs. Loving your blog, so happy you're doing one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU FOUND SNOWBALL!! YOU FOUND SNOWBALL!

    ReplyDelete