Disable Right Click

(Move the mouse around to play with the fishies. Click to feed them)

Fish2

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Orientation and Thoughts So Far

The day after we arrived to orientation we went into Sydney to go to the Taronga Zoo and go on a walking tour of Sydney. The zoo was awesome, got to play with some kangaroos and saw this cool bird show.









Also, I decided I’m going to try and get a Koala for a pet because they are insanely cute.





The parts of Sydney we saw were really pretty. We went to the Rocks, which is supposed to be where Westerners first landed in Sydney, possibly Australia? (Definitely was not zoning out when they were explaining it to us.) It definitely had a British feel to it – narrow cobble stone streets. Also, we got to see the iconic Opera house. 


Me in front of the Opera House


Me and the fellow Perthies!


Was pretty amused by this poster featuring a crazy looking John C. Reilly doing shadow puppet shows.


Later, we went to the “oldest pub” in Sydney (feel like every pub says they are the oldest) and met some drunk Scottish guy who bought everyone drinks and sang Frank Sinatra to us. He kept telling jokes where the punch line went over everyone’s head. Hopped on the ferry back to the zoo and got back on the bus to return to the orientation site.




I’m sure this will probably change once I get to Perth and have to actually get settled in, but I think it’s great that despite being so far away, Australia does not seem intimidating (so far). The people are really friendly and just so relaxed. Can't help but feel relaxed around them. My student advisor, Vicki, is insanely friendly and is making the transition very smooth.  Of course, the number of things that will bite me, scratch me, sting me, eat me, or burn me (which was discussed in a PowerPoint slide, followed by a slide saying, “But have fun!”) definitely qualifies as a bit intimidating. 


Off for now! Boarding plane to Perth soon, but will keep you all updated! Thanks for all the comments and for following!

9 comments:

  1. So funny, Jules! We love the photos of the zoo and are still laughing at the friendly wildlife sign. (Yikes!) Sounds as if you're off to a great start. Keep those blog posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are incredible. This place looks so magical...And yes, definitely bring home a koala, please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my little brother! you're taking such incredible photos!! that little koala bear is SO cute (didn't I choose an awesome teddy?). i love you and can't wait to see more of your adventures down under! -- your biggest sister ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW those pics are awesome.. what camera do you have.. thank you for providing my breakfast entertainment.. I love your blog!

    Hope you got to Perth safely. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. EXCELLENT photography. That little koala bear looks extra tired, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! I'll definitely keep working on operation smuggle a koala. And I'm using a Nikon d90, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. doggy, have you seen videos of kanga fighting? it's crazy. two links below. in the second one you can see how they stand on their tails in order to kick each other with both feet. cooorazy!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiTG6T9pTcM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzlvMGOesQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just watched those videos! Crazy and very silly Hopefully I'll get to see some Kanga boxing while i'm here

    ReplyDelete